Leaping, Learning, Love & ListsReading Time: 2 minutes
Happy leap day!
Because we get an extra day this month, I’ve decided to do another “report to the invisible board” on what I learned over the past 28+ days.
I hope the Shareholders (i.e., my blog readers) approve and gain some wisdom/perspective too.
In February I learned (in no particular order)…
- List posts are very effective (but shouldn’t be overdone)
- My personal posts perform way better than business-y ones.
- True friends will always remember and celebrate special occasions and reach out when times are tough.
- Google+ is pretty worthwhile for certain things. (But you’ll have to get in touch with me to find out what.)
- LinkedIn is also a great tool for connecting with new people.
- I need to listen better. And speak less sometimes. I don’t always have to be right.
- Anger and anxiety are probably the two worst emotions…they get in the way of productivity and peace.
- I learned to use some new apps. I’m more committed than ever to learning how to code this year.
- Although moving (as in office space) is never fun, it can lead to new connections and opportunities.
- Hiring a great photographer is always a good investment. (Thanks Darryl!)
- Sleep is super-important.
- Some great millennial professionals are out there. Boomers who dismiss the entire group are missing-out on learning and evolving.
- We all have to forgive rather than fester.
- Great leaders allow their people to fail sometimes. That’s how people learn.
- I also learned a bunch of random things through my blogging — like the history of popcorn in movie theaters and the background of the making of Groundhog Day. And I now know lots of trivia sources on the web.
- Writers still get paid by the word sometimes. (Thank you to the publications that still do it!)
- I can burn an extra 1,000 calories a day, just by walking instead of Uber-izing.
- Smiling goes a long way.
- The fastest-growing group on Facebook is the 65+ population.
- Facebook and Twitter advertising can be very effective sometimes — you just have to know how to target well.
- The direct mail list rental business is still alive and well. (We researched lists for one of our clients this month.)
- New clients can come from anywhere — but the best ones are still referrals. Nothing new there…just re-confirmed.
- I still remember how to hold a baby. (I became a grandmother at the end of last month)
- A well-designed pitch to the right journalist can still result in great media coverage.
- Pictures and video are dominating social media. (I’m presenting on the topic at the Nightclub & Bar show next month.)
- Snapchat is now being used effectively by brands.
- Sometimes you just have to go missing for a while.
- Community is way more important than content. But the right content directed at the right community is the key to marketing (duh!)
- Passion for what you do is key…not just during the month of love, but all year!
So, let’s all end February with some learning and a leap and start March with a roar.